Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200

Hello,

Don't know if this helps any, but I've just finished getting most of this
stuff working on a Satellite 2800, and Debian will probably have everything
you need already packaged.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:05:21PM +0100, Alex Page wrote:
.
.
.
> 1) I've got a "3Com 10/100 LAN PC Card" PCMCIA NIC in my laptop. I can't
> find any information about Linux drivers on 3Com's (very poor) website.
> Where can I found out whether Linux drivers are available for this product?

If your card's any older than brand new, I'd be willing to be that it will
work fine, provided the PCMCIA support is there. Of course, I can't say for
sure without a model number (FCC lookup perhaps?) I do know that there are
drivers kernel 2.4.4 for 3Com's 574 and 589 NICs.

AFAIK, There are only two kinds of PCMCIA, and both are supported.

> 2) Ditto for the inbuilt Toshiba 56k modem

http://www.linmodems.org is the home of the Linux-for-winmodems project. A lot
of manufacturers have released drivers for their winmodems, and people have
hacked out others. The site had everything I needed to get my Satellite 2800's
modem up and running.

> 3) Sound drivers - the internal soundcard works well under Win98, and I'd
> rather like it to continue working under Debian...

My 2800, and every other Toshiba laptop I've seen, new and old, is running a
Yamaha sound chipset (the ymfpci kernel driver). I found some specific
information for my sound card from Toshiba's website.

--
Mike
odoitau@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org