Re: SiS900 Ethernet Problems

> Replies interspersed below (damn Outlook!)

Can I have some clippings, I'm growing a small garden over here behind
the linuxgazette gazebo.  :D

> # If you want to make custom runlevels, I *deeply* recommend
> # that you make up runlevels 7, 8, or 9 and use them.  [snip]
> #
> # The "2 without network" "3 is normal multiuser" "4 for X support"
> # "5 is most GUI-ful" layout for sysvinit predates Linux
> # itself.  In those setups, you actually progressed *through*
> # the runlevels, not *to* a specific one.
> #
> # * Heather Stern * star@ many places...
>
> You are indeed a star of the first magnitude, Heather.

Aww, shux.

> Question:  I didn't realize that Debian and RedHat were different
> in this regard.  Where can I find the best description of the
> following items:
>
> o	Debian init process

start at /etc/inittab.  initdefault sets a variable, and sysinit runs
	si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

that script tells it to read a bunch of vars out of /etc/default/rcS
and to run the parts in /etc/rcS.d ... then /etc/rc.boot.  (This is
also where the checks for two magic scripts if you're not done installing
are invoked)

then back to /etc/inittab since you head into a runlevel - /etc/init.d/rc
is called with a runlevel number - from there it's all in the directories
you are used to.

Unless you have the package which changes you to a file based setup.  Then
you have to read 'em yourself, I don't do it that way :)

> o	All those little auto-config apps (e.g. update-modules),
> 	the input files they use, and the output files they affect

cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
grep update- *.list

...but this will only show you the gadgets in packages which are installed,
and which follow this naming convention.  It wouldn't find you wvdialconf
for instance.

> o	The files tromped on by apt-upgrades

deity can show which dependencies there are, under the "newer versions
available" section.

conffiles (which ones it will avoid tromping) are mentioned - per package -
under /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.conffiles.

There's only an easy way to list packages, not files, except to get the
list of packages and then look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list.

Glad you're having fun with Debian

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star@starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting@starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078