Re: HARM 5600

> Hello,
> does someone know about the winmodem `HARM 5600' and Linux? I tried to find out
> something related but I found nothing interesting... I'd like buying a laptop
> but it has this winmodem and I'm not sure it's supported by Linux... can someone
> help me?
> Thanks.
>
> Rodolfo
>
> P.S. I already tried to visit linmodems and linux-laptop sites...

I don't suppose the modem/laptop notes proudly point to a URL for its
manufacturer?

What does lspci call it?  If it reveals a chipset type, you can look that up
in the linmodems, or visit google or alltheweb and combine it with "linux"
to see what comes up.

I have never heard of it but it's common for utter no-names to license the
big boys' stuff.  If it's a licensee of a supported one, then I guess you're
silver.  (No such thing as "golden" with winmodems.  Nature of the beast.)

If it's actually a small outfit cooking their own... that'd be amazing...
but it would also be an opportunity to call them and beg them to provide
enough notes or even put a real effort towards a linux driver for their
critter.

It has been claimed, though I'm not holding my breath, that a *really*
supported controllerless-modem would have some great possibilities, one
as a modem with different latency characteristics, and another as a device
which can be used as a much more controllable phone-line-interface than
just being a modem.

But I suspect that we'll have free wireless cards in every box before they
get that straight.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...