Kernel configuration for IBM A20m and partition question

I'm having a hard time finding the right kernel configuration for my
thinkpad A20m. The problem is that the laptop doesn't power off after halting. I'm
using kernel 2.4.5 after switching from a 2.2 series, where I manually added a
line in the config file, something like "APM_POWER_OFF_ON_HALT" (I don't
know the exact line, as I didn't keep the config file when that didn't work for
the 2.4 series). I have enabled APM, which seems to work OK with the tpctl to
hibernate and suspend, even though I don't see a difference between those
two, and both options don't like beeing called from an X-session (I switch to a
VT so that it doesn't hang).

Another question I have is concerning disk partitions and win98: Is it
possible that a linux partition causes problems for win98? I haven't used this OS,
but my wife complains about heavy disk activity on our tp600, which is dual
boot, and heard from a collegue that the linux partition could be the cause
(which seems strange to me, but....).

Thanks for any help,

Amir

http://www.gmx.net

GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a