Re: IDE kernel messages after potato install

FWIW, I used to have a very similar laptop (Solo 9300, but a 400 Mhz
CPU with less memory and drive space).  I went through three disk
drives on it.  I believe the problem is heat; the drive sits directly
underneath your left palm and gets _very_ hot after several hours of
usage.  For the third drive, I bought a 9.5mm instead of a 11.5mm,
thinking that the 2mm air gap that it would provide might solve the
problem.  The heat level was noticably decreased and I never had any
problems with it.

The point of this tale is these error messages started happening about
a week before each of the drives failed.  The next symptom was an
intermittant grinding sound.  Both symptoms became more frequent until
the drives became unusable.

In the depths of that dark day Tue Jul 17, the words of Brian P. Flaherty were the beacon: