moving to a new laptop

Hi

I'm going to move to a new laptop pretty soon. My question:
Can I simply "move" all the software to the new one? (Well, except for
the XConfig and other hardware stuff like sound, 3D, etc...)
My biggest concern is that I have to install all the packages again that
are on my laptop rigth now. What about programs that I compiled myself -
do I have to compile them again?
I have a lot of packages from woody and sid and I really don't feel like
getting them again (I only have potato stuff on CD) - I really want to
avoid that, especially because it took me a long time to configure
everything.

Thanks for you help!

Philipp