Re: power button dell inspiron 4000

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 12:06:24PM +1000, Tim Connors wrote:
> I've given up on this project for a while, but here's some more info:
> Flashed with the latest BIOS, but pretty much everything is the same in
> the setup menu (gee, I like being able to change bios options when the
> machine is already running an OS!). I booted winbloze, and found out it
> doesn't even disable the power button (good chance to run scandisk,
> anyway :)
>
> So I think I will ask Dell for some help and/or for them to add yet
> another thing to the BIOS.
>
> Incidentally - when the machine hard-crashes you need to press the power
> button for 4 seconds to turn it off. So somewhere, it is asking the OS for
> permission to turn off, and doesn't get through to it when it is crashed.

 No, it isn't asking the OS.  My computer has a BIOS option for making the
"power button" switch be either suspend or soft-off.  When it's set to be
suspend, it generates an APM event when you push it.  In this mode, you can
also hold it down for 4 seconds to turn the computer off, accomplishing the
same thing that pressing it at all does in soft-off mode.

> I'm slightly confuzzled by this....

 Try reading the bios manual, if you have a copy of it.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y