Re: Unable to boot from hdd with recent lilo/mbr packages!!!

> Well, the lilo.conf i sent was just the last configuration I tried, before
> that I also tried boot=/dev/hda!

Well, you now have a LILO mbr at /dev/hda, so debian mbr is not there at
all, if you want to put it back you can try to use install-mbr /dev/hda
I'm almost positive that Debian's mbr will work as expected, not so sure
about LILO if as you said there is an incompatibility issue, but installing
Debian mbr may help your BIOS allow you to boot from HD again.

The mbr's signature is ok and the partition table also looks ok from here.

> I was afraid that this is the problem. Now I am really scared that I might
> get in troubles twhen I try to fix that!

Don't worry, if you don't do any weird thing you should not get into
trouble, at least not more than the trouble you have now ;-)

If I was you I'd try to install Debian mbr and then see if now LILO get's
called, if it is and you see the LI... prompt, then you know Debian mbr is
working ok, and you can try different lilo setups allways having lilo
installed on /dev/hda2 and not /dev/hda.

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net