Re: my dell runs

> While X doesn't actually need a window manager to work (you can just put
> clients in ~/.xinitrc) maybe we could use a meta-wm package that would
> help people pick one or more, than fetch those packages.
>
> > Further I had to disable gpm mouse service otherwise I couldn't use
> > the mouse under X.
>
> Yeah, that happens to some people, desktoppers and laptoppers alike.
> I've been doing this stuff for years and still haven't figured out
> what makes a system like or hate gpm.
Changing the repeat_type option to "none" in gpmconfig did it.
> > I compiled a new 2.4.4 kernel with PCMCIA token ring suport and it
> > hang at init time. I unpluged the card rebooted and after login
> > I pluged in the card -> it works now.
>
> Hmm.  Does it hang during resume, too?  (you might need to tweak the
> PCMCIA portion of the apm config scripts so it has some delay before
> turning cards back on)
I'm not using APM at the moment. Unfortunately the 2.4.4 kernel crashes now
every time I insert the PCMCIA token ring IBM card. I read the note
from Guenther to recompile the pcmcia-cs package with PnP BIOS option
set to "y" which I did but the kernel still crashes in the same way.
I'm currently using 2.2.19pre17 where the PCMCIA card works fine.

I built the ALSA 0.9pre4 package for the maestro3 chip; the module
is loadable with modeprobe but alsamixer is not working. I used strace
and it looks like I'm lacking a asound.conf file - can anyone provide
me such a file???

gr. matthias

http://www.gmx.net