Re: New ... please help

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Razvan Roncov wrote:

> 1. My network card was not installed .... Surecom (pcmcia slot)

erm....is it actually supported? Check pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net....

If its not listed then you may be lucky and find its just a rebranded
card.  It would be useful if you explain what log messages you get and if
theres any of the usual pcmcia beeps when you plug it in or remove it.
You may need to recompile yourself a kernel and pcmcia-cs driver set to
fix the problem.

I have received a lot of requests on how to do a kernel-pcmcia-ALSA
compile session, and I have decided (after my exams) to sit down and write
a HOWTO on it.  It should explain all the fancy features of kernel
compiling and more importantly tell you how to get the most out of your
laptop (and desktop).

Watch this space, I'll mail the details here once it is done.

> 2. My resolution for XServer all though I set it to 800x600 ... it still
> displays a biger resolution
>    therefore I cant see the whole desktop

hmmm this is a 'feature' of X.  There is a anti-virtual desktop command
but I never have managed to get it to work.  What I suggest is you put the
"800x600" resolution in your XF86Config file and thats all.

> 3. does Debian support USB mouse ... if yes ... how could i configure it
> ... ?

one thing that bugs me about queries whether certain distro's support
certain things, a distro is not linux.  The distro is the packages around
the linux kernel.  What you need to do is probably recompile a kernel with
USB support and also the 'input device' support if I remember correctly.
This will at least setup your usb port to talk to the mouse.  Then you
need something like the usb equivent of pcmcia-cs.

Debian doesn't really have too much to do with the kernel, sure its set up
to be completely modular so that *everything* is support however all the
distro's do this.  This however is less than optimal, especially on a
laptop.  You need to in your mind physically seperate the applications
from the kernel in a distro.  Its not the applications (aka Debian) that
don't support a certain hardware device (in your case a usb mouse) its the
kernel.

"go forth and compile ye a kernel and learn much thou shalt", etc ;)

Alex