Re: Inspiron 8000 & Progeny install woes

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:28:14AM -0700, lgreenwa@csc.com wrote:
> Has anyone had any success installing Progeny on the Dell Inspiron 8000? If
> you have, how about a nice step-by-step guide to how you did it?

Well, not Progeny but Sid is running like a breeze here on I8000 (even
the internal MiniPCI Combo Card with Ethernet AND Winmodem works).

> The machine is somewhat 'bleeding' edge, and so far, of the various
> distributions I've tried, only Mandrake 8.0 has successfully installed on
> it.

You can download a tarball with all necessary files and docs to
get a perfectly supported I8000 under Debian from
http://people.debian.org/~gbechly/dell.tgz
With this tarball you even get a custom kernel 2.4.3, XFree86-4
configs, customized debs for SVGAlib and PCMCIA etc.
But please do read the enclosed docs BEFORE installing!!!

> However, I want Debian on it.  Any help is most appeciated.

Good decision (Mandrake may rock during installation, but badly sucks later).
Best luck with the installation.

Cheers,
Guenter

--
Linux: Who needs GATES in a world without fences?