Re: SpeedStep / Geyserville lockups?

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 01:01:29AM -0700, Heather wrote:

> I believe that Speedstep machines are much more stable if they are always
> (re)booted while attached to wall power.   Suspends and resumes should behave
> much better, but *those* depend on whether your APM BIOS is crappy :(

 Yes, that's what the guy who maintains APM in the kernel told me after his
talk at OLS last year.  I told him about my laptop that lets you switch
between 33 and 66 MHz with a keypress, and he said to always boot up at high
speed because waiting too long is a lot safer than not waiting long enough
when it comes to the micro-delays that are timed with bogomips.

> I personally suspect that some things may not be all that well behaved "at
> the wrong speed" too but I have no direct experience with that.

 I would be surprised unless you make your clock speed slower by more like
an order of magnitude.  (depending on the drivers you are using, of course).
Most of the time, the kernel will wait only the minimum delay specified by
the hardware.  If there is a maximum delay, it will be much longer than the
minimum, so waiting longer won't hurt.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y