Re: ailing gpm - tp380ED

Peter Cordes wrote:

>  GPM never conflicted with X, except maybe before it supported the repeater
> option.  The problem has always been that the PS/2 device driver only allows
> a single process to open the device and read events, IIRC.

I'm not even sure that last is true.  I've heard stories of gpm and X
conflicting, but I've never seen it in several years of using various
systems.

>From my laptop's[*] /etc/gpm.conf:
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
type=ps2
append="-l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""

>From my laptop's XF86Config:
Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "PS/2"
   Device          "/dev/psaux"
   BaudRate        1200
   Emulate3Timeout 50
   Resolution      100
   Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

[*] a tp600e running an up-to-date stable system plus ximian-gnome.

No repeaters used anywhere, and no conflicts -- it all works like a
champ (except when I install a new gpm while running X, and that's just
a easy-to-fix glitch).  And yes, I do actually use both X and console
often enough to be sure.

> The serial driver is different.  gpm and X can both open /dev/mouse
> simultaneously if it is linked to ttyS0.

Yup, my old desktop machine used serial mouse, and I had no problems
there either.

It seems like the repeater is something that is only needed, er, when
it's needed, i.e. if you have a problem without it, then you should
probably try with it.  Since I've never had a problem without it, I've
never even tried it.

OTOH, from earlier msgs in this thread, I gather there may be some minor
advantages to using a repeater, even if you don't need it, so I guess it
comes down to a matter of taste.  Use the repeater if you need it, or if
you just want to.  (Which replaces my old advice: use the repeater only
if you really need it.)

Anyway, bottom line, I just want to emphasize that gpm and X do NOT
conflict, even WITHOUT the repeater, except, well, except when they do.
Advising *everyone* to remove gpm or set up the repeater is not
necessary -- only those people who are having problems (or who want the
features the repeater offers) should set up the repeater or purge gpm.

cheers

--
Chris Waters, Systems Engineer, Critical Path, Inc.
cwaters@cp.net or xtifr@debian.org