Re: Badiane: CPU speed on my TP600X

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:42:09AM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Badiane Ka <badianedebian@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > My CPU speed on my laptop shows up as 132MHz instead
> > of 500MHz.  Does anyone know how I can reset it?
>
> [...]
> You can just reboot on AC power and /proc/cpuinfo will show the right
> value, but it's just a cosmetic problem.

 It's _not_ cosmetic.  The kernel doesn't just measure bogomips to make you
feel good because you have a lot of them.  (The CPU MHz value is cosmetic,
but it gets measured along with bogomips).  It measures so it will know how
many times through the loop it has to go to wait for e.g. 10 microseconds.
If your hardware requires certain IO accesses to be separated by at least x
amount of time, you'll have problems.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y