Re: PCMCIA Ethernet Recommendation

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 12:45:37AM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 08:03:59AM -0800, Donnie Jones wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > As you've probably had on here many times already by
> > other users, I am asking for some recommendations for
> > an inexpensive reliable pcmcia ethernet card for
> > debian.  Any information would be great.
> >

> Avoid Xircom.  Really.  I'm fed up with my wonderful
> "works-anywhere-in-the-world" RealPort combo card.  I tried it yesterday
> under Windows, and the card eventually froze up exactly the way it's been
> doing under Linux.  And I'm not the only one with this problem.
>
> On the other hand, they do have a lifetime warranty on the card, so it's
> about time I took them up on it.  Maybe I'll be feeling more happy about
> them after I've done that.
>
> On the third hand, my card is a REM-56G100 (or whatever), two years old,
> three even.  They now have a "RealPort2" series, maybe you'll have better
> luck with that.
>
> On the fourth hand, be careful about getting a CardBus type card (mine is
> "pcmcia"), there've been problems those (possibly already resolved).
>
> Drew
> (preparing to give Xircom customer support a call on Monday...)

On the fifth hand (I knew there'd be one there somewhere...), I just checked
your subject again and realised you meant *ethernet* cards.  I've got
no complaints with the ethernet side of my combo card.  My problems have
only been with the modem.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A