Re: X on Gateway solo5300

I tried to install Debian yesterday.  The biggest problem came from X setup.  At
first I couldn't get it work because there is no XF86_SVGA server--only VGA16.
Then I found one online(from Bill Richardson's site) and installed it.  It
worked but gave very bad color resolution and font size--I know my monitor is
only 800x600, but even though it should not looks such badly.  The worst thing
is I couldn't use X-window doing login.  The mechine dose not recoganize the
root password I typed in.  I don't know why.
Anyone has success in X setup?  My video card is Savage IX w/MV and monitor
resolution is 800x600.