Re: dhcp with pcmcia using pump

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Chris Halls wrote:
> >
> > > Erm, actually I have the opposite experience:  My 3com Megahertz
3CCFEM556BI
> > > does not work with pump, either the Potato or Woody versions.  But
dhclient
> > > works OK with the card.
> > >
> > > It's definitely Pump, not my machine configuration: I have a 3com
3c589c
> > > that works with both pump and dhclient.
> > I havn't followed this thread but this notice might help perhaps a
little.

> > After upgrading my perfectly working laptop (perfectly working = working
> > with DHCP in the institute and working with fixed IP at home) I had very
> > big problems.  The lesser problem was that I had to type pump manually
> > now in the institute (DHCP).  The big problem was, that my network was
> > unavailable at all at home.  After several hours I found out that I have
> > to do
> >     ifup lo eth0
> > manually (and do this explicitely -  ifup -a didn't work either).  If
> > I did a /etc/init.d/networking start nothing happened, i.e. ifconfig
> > showed no output.  This is really strange and I havn't any explanation
> > for this behaviour.  Seems I have to do some research.
>
> How about /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart?  For me, I need to call that
> whenever I want it to get a new ip address via dhcp.

Hi guys, thanks for the ideas.  Unfortunately I'm no further.  I tried
playing around with your suggestions, but I still end up at the same point,
which is that pump is started, and does nothing except write a debug syslog
message that it is requesting a lease.  The interface itself is brought up
OK - if I type ifconfig I can see the interface and number of packets
sent/received ticks up, it's just I don't get an IP address.  I'm copying
this to the pump maintainer (hello Steve), maybe he's got some ideas.

Chris