Re: Thinkpad 600 sound

On Wednesday 14 March 2001 22:45, Jack McKinney wrote:
>     I have installed Debian 2.2 on an IBM Thinkpad 600.  I have looked
> through the linux laptop pages at http://www.linux-laptop.net and found
> some info on setting up the sound card.  Everybody claims that the
> set up for OSS described on http://www.levien.com/tp600.html works
> fine.  I have followed these instructions, and run modprobe -a sound,
> and it complains about a wrong IRQ or IOPORT:
>
> cauchy ~ [2] # modprobe -a sound
> 9:37AM /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/cs4232.o: init_module: Device or resource
> busy Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/cs4232.o:
> insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/cs4232.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/cs4232.o: insmod sound failed

The Thinkpad 600E series (and I believe most if not all Thinkpad 600 series
machines) had a Windows program to configure the BIOS and set the IRQ, DMA,
and port addresses.  So using the parameters that worked for someone else
won't necessarily work for you unless you use the Windows program to set the
same hardware parameters.

The Linux isapnptools package might allow you to do the same thing as the
Windows programs, but I'm not sure.