The Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100O+Modem 56 REM56-100 card...

Hi there!

It all begun when I begun installing potato on a toshiba laptop. My objective is to
install Sid on it, but since for this I need to have potato installed I thought about
putting a basic installation of potato and then do a dist-upgrade on it.

I was able to put a basic installation of potato but, for me to do a dist-upgrade I need
to configure my pcmcia card. So I installed cardmgr and the modules needed to configure.
I checked for the name of the card (Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 REM56G-100)
in the supported.cards file and I gladly found it was there.

After a reboot I heard a first high beep (cardmgr was starting) and then (after a sec
or 2) I heard another one. So far so good. But after about 4 sec I heard another high
beep. :/

I checked my logs and saw that cardmgr recognized my card as a Xircom CEM56 :(( .
The second and third high beeps were due to an autonegotiation that failed. I opened
the /etc/pcmcia/config file I couldn't find any entry for my card although it is
supported.

I then checked my cardmgr version (3.1.22) and found out that the latest one was
version 3.1.25 . I though they added the support for this card in latter versions
but nothing appears in the Changes file.

I copied my config file to another place and  removed all cards entries. Then
I restarted cardmgr. As I supposed it would happen there was I high beep followed
by a low beep that indicates that the card was unsupported (that I confirmed by
looking to the logs). But the strang thing is that in the logs and when I do
a "cardctl ident" it showed:
	product info: "Xircom", CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56", "CEM56", "1.00"

That lead me thinking that cardmgr got this information from the pc card memory.
Now, I'm 100% sure that the card is the Xircom REM56G-100 (CEM is not even a type III
card, it's a type II!!), as it's written on the card. So I'm not sure what to do here.

I did tried to put an entry on the config file but with what key-words (those are
key-words aren't they?) ?
When I restored my config file and restarted cardmgr I noticed that the file
/var/lib/pcmcia/stab only had two entries. One for the ethernet and the other for a
serial. Isn't it suppose to have 3, since I have also an ISDN modem? How should I use
the ISDN connection kit then? I saw written somewhere that is just like a serial
but I have only a serial for my modem and ISDN adapter... Should I use hisax?

Anyway, one thing at a time. Right now I'm not able to put my card being detected.
Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo Diz
op6001@mail.telepac.pt