Re: Dell Inspiron 8000

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 01:49:53PM -0800, Michael O'Brien wrote:

>I don't think it uses the 3Com 3c556. The Mobilix web page has you search thru
>/proc/pci to determine which 3Com device. For me, the ethernet device is:
>
>    Ethernet controller: Intel 82557 (rev 8)
>
>There's no mention of a Device or Vendor id, which are mentioned on Mobilix
>page. I believe the built-in port on a Dell is a Xircom RealPort card. The
>RealPort uses the ne driver according to:
>
>    http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispdriver.php3?DISP?88
>
>However, I'm not having much luck getting insmod to take the ne driver. It
>bails out with unresolved symbols (ei_open, ethdev_init, NS8390_init, etc...).

2 problems:

the ne driver depends on the 8390 driver. Either insmod that first, or
(the more intelligent way) use modprobe instead - it will determine
dependencies for you and install 8390 first.

the 82557 is NOT an ne2000 clone - it's an Intel Etherexpress Pro
10/100 - use the eepro100 driver instead.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there