Compiling tulip driver

I've just installed Debian on my new HP Pavilion XH215. (a N5xxx equivalent)
One minor wrinkle is that the ethernet device is an Accton EN2422 MiniPCI.
Apparently, there is an updated tulip driver which recognizes my ethernet
device.  I've downloaded it and am now looking for the simplest method to
recompile my tulip driver.

So far I'm considering 1) recompiling the whole kernel and having the new
tulip.c file picked up in the process 2) trying to recompile just the tulip.o
module and use it with my stock 2.2r2 install.  So are there any
recommendations, dire warnings, etc?

--Alan