Extra `mouse' button on a Thinkpad T21

I've been working with getting Debian running in all its glory on an
IBM Thinkpad T21, and am pretty pleased -- except for one tiny issue.

The T21 has a large button with a blue marking underneath the left-
and right-`mouse' buttons.  Under Windows, this is used as a scroll
button.

I'd like to set this up as a middle mouse button, but I'm not sure
how.  I can't just remap it with xmodmap, since it's currently not
even being read by X (tested using xev).  In addition, none of the
mouse configurations in gpm seem to activate it.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Stephen L. Peters                                  portnoy@portnoy.org
  PGP fingerprint: A1BF 5A81 03E7 47CE 71E0  3BD4 8DA6 9268 5BB6 4BBE