Re: Layout Question

> I'm trying to install the 2.2.18 kernel into a Debian install.
> I'm not using the Deb binaries for a couple reasons, but I got into a jam..
>
> I'm used to Slackware.  If you want to change it, you edit the file
> directly.  Debian doesn't seem to do that very well.  Lots of warnings
> about not changing files..
>
> According the my previous experience with slackware my /etc/modules.conf
> file should consist of something like:
> alias cs46xx sound
> alias eepro100 eth0
>
> and really nothing else.
> In Debian, I have many lines and many aliases and when I try to load a new
> kernel, the modules won't load...
> I need to tell Debian that there's a lot of files/modules I have no
> intention of using.
> What's the tool(s) to do that?

modutils.  Under most distros, not just debian.

The current way of things is to tell it about the things you *do* need.
Default kernel images come with lots of builtins you might not use either,
(ex: SCSI and RAID controllers, I'm sure I don't have those in my laptop)
but you have to recompile to ditch those.

> I'm afraid if I edit the /etc/modules.conf directly, the installation will
> get mad.

Under debian, even most of the conffiles have manpages of their own...

man -k is actually useful, since many debian project maintainers go the
extra mile and add manpages to the packages.

and, we keep loose documentation for packages in directories under
/usr/doc and-or /usr/share/doc.

There's been recent effort to consolidate these but best to look both places,
run man -k <keyword> and if you know the application's name, man <app> and
info <app> before giving up.

So, /usr/share/doc/modutils has a number of useful files to read.

It happens that the files which *are* safe to edit are in /etc/modutils,
but you should still read ahead a bit before leaping in.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...