Re: network problems on inspiron 8000

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 10:32:18PM -0500, Luke Shulenburger wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been running unstable on my laptop for about a month now and just
> recently when I booted up I can't get anything on the network.  Whenever
> I try to ping localhost (or any other host for that matter) I get:
>
> ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
>
> I don't have a clue what's going on.  I have a Xircom PC network card
> that has been previously working quite well for me using a pcmcia-cs
> that I've compiled from source to work with my 2.2.17 kernel.  I've
> tried looking at the logs and nothing seems particularly out of place
> except these messages during bootup (excerpted from syslog)
>
> eth0: Xircom Cardbus Adapter (DEC 21143 compatable mode rev 3 at 0x200,
> 00:10:A4:0F:D4:54, IRQ 9
>
> eth0: MII transceiver #0 config 3100 status 7809 advertising 01e1
>
> cardmgr[548]:" executing: './network start eth0'
> cardmgr[548]: + eth0: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
>
> cardmgr[548]: + SIOCSIFADDR: Bad file descriptor
> cardmgr[548]: + eth0: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
> cardmgr[548]: + SIOCSIFNETMASK: Bad file descriptor
> cardmgr[548]: + SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Bad file descriptor
> cardmgr[548]: + eth0: unknown interface: Bad file descriptor
> kernel: neighbor table overflow
> last message repeated 3 times
> cardmgr[548]: + SIOCADDRT: No such device
> cardmgr[548]: + SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?  I don't quite know where to begin, I can't
> think of anything that changed from one reboot to the next.  Your help
> would be greatly appreciated.

You don't say which version of net-tools, pcmcia, or ifupdown if any
that you are running. I am not positive WRT your exact setup, but I can
tell you those errors are a known issue with net-tools 1.58-1.

Apparently upstream released with a missing check for certain file
descriptors. If you are using net-tools 1.58-1, you need to
upgrade/downgrade.

HTH
Gordon Sadler