Re: Debian on Vaio F340

Hi Steven,

I'm using the following xserver on my Vaio F304, which I believe has the exact
same video hardware (NeoMagic):

    xserver-svga   3.3.6-11potato X server for SVGA graphics cards

A newer version of the xserver-svga would probably also be ok.

I've included my /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  You can copy the relevant stanzas
into your own (you could probably take this file and use it, but if I remember
correctly you're using gpm's -R option to forward the info to X, which I'm not
doing.  Both methods should work fine).

Have you got the sound card working yet?  The sound hardware is also on the
NeoMagic board, and you just need to have the kernel module 'nm256' loaded at
boot time (put it in /etc/modules).

BTW - if you plan on using Gnome, I would recommend ICE or Sawmill/Sawfish as
a window manager (debian packages icewm-gnome or sawmill-gnome).  I
encountered some bugs in Sawfish (it often failed to change focus when I
moved the mouse to a different window), so recently switched to ICEWM,
which also plays well with gnome.

Let me know if you have any luck with this, or if you need any other config
settings.

...Jason