Re: Back to Windows??

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:12:09PM +0100, Hans Verschoor and Jennie Kohsiek wrote:

> [...]
Just one thing:
There is no such thing as a "stable simple server machine", at least
not without a *considerable* amount of work, and at least not now
(I doubt it will ever happen).

We've seen a lot of evidence of people running their
"stable simple server machine"s lately...
(can you spell "Ramen" ?)

That said, for all the difficulty and the amount of time spent on
configuration, I still rather use Linux than Windows, in order to
preserve my freedom.

> > Don't forget that a computer is just a tool.  If you need all your
> > hardware, use the preinstalled OS.  If you also need some of the GNU tools
> > (tar,awk, ...) install Cygwin, or dual boot.
> >

> Hans:
> Right on !
> Linux should not be a cult, but I think it is by now .....
Not entirely incorrect ;-)

> > My testimonial:  I got my laptop in Jan,1999 (an ARM TS759.  ARM is very
> > linux friendly and even offers preinstalled RedHat.  I specifically asked
> > about Linux before buying).  My NIC (a generic 10baseT) was supported off
> > the bat.  It took about 6 mos for the soundcard driver to make it into the
> > stable kernel.  I would still use Windows regularly.  Eventually my
> > windows use was only for games and all my work was done in Linux.  Finally
> > I got bored of the games.  The last time I booted into windows was 6 mos
> > ago, and last week I got rid of the last fat partition on my disk.
> >

> Hans:
> Mine: I got an all Linux compatible hardware set, because I checked all
> components before. Got Debian 2.2.18pre21 and the result: I can't print on a
> HP2100 (mentioned to be "perfect" for Linux), I can't tar to a DI-30
> tapestreamer (proudly declared: "Linux certified" by the manufacturer), I'm
> doubtful if my network will work and it will probable take another year
> before I get my ADSL modem working. I will install W2000 in the days to come
> and if everything works: "bye bye Linux".

Oh, so you used a development kernel and wondered why the hell
nothing works ?
Now that's tough ;-)

(that comment is not entirely serious, though)

> > Craig Milling
> >
> > PS.  If you made it down this far, thanks for reading my rambling missive.
> > :)
> >

> Hans:
> As you can see, I made it.
Me too :)