Re: PCMCIA burnout?

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 11:49:31PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 10:24:33PM -0600, Nathan Bockrath wrote:
> >
> > Using this particular setup I have the following results to report:  3
> ethernet cards no longer functioning after 24 hours.  I hesitate to continue
> using these cards this way.  I think the cards get too hot in the slot when
> put in there together.  They get hot to the touch, but not enough to burn my
> fingers...
>

> > Anyone seen a similar result?  What cards should I use instead?
> >

> I have a Xircom 10/100 + 56k combo card (RealPort).  The ethernet port has
> been working just fine, as far as I know.
>
> I'm not so happy about the modem port though.  For some reason the card
> seems to get hotter when the modem is running than when ethernet is running,
> although it does get hot under ethernet (I've never used both at the same
> time for more than 5 minutes).
>
> But in the last month or two I noticed modem performance has been much worse
> than previously, with the modem just freezing up (das blinkenlites become
> solid, blinking no more) and ppp times out and turns itself off.  Since the
> last couple of months coincides with an Australian summer, and performance
> was improved by pointing a fan at the computer, I suspect the surrounding
> environment simply got too hot for the poor modem.

yeah, me too, same card.  i get:

No response to 4 echo-requests
Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Terminating on signal 15.

is this the same for you.  i thought it was noisy phone lines or
something, but if it's the modem, i'd really like to know.  i do not
live in a hot environment, however...

thanks,
nathanp.