Re: freeze after suspend on Inspiron 3500, potato/2.2.17

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:33:27PM -0500, William F. Dowling wrote:

> Can someone suggest reasonable kernel config values (presumably under
> APM) so that suspend/resume won't freeze a Dell Inspiron 3500?  I am
> building kernel 2.2.17 from source, and have been having that
> problem. If you have this working, what values do you have in
> the kernel config for:
Oh no, Dell again.

I've got an Inspiron 5000e which has all sorts of weird lockups.
Many times directly after a screen blanking it just locks up totally
(including ping !).
Or sometimes there are weird lockups with suspend/resume, yes.

As this machine is (in)famous for its "wonderfully working" APM support
(boolean variable dell_crap in apm.c of newer, knowing kernels),
I strongly suspect that the BIOSes of Dell notebooks are brox!@E$%^$en
in general.
Dell is NOT doing a good job here.
A new BIOS has been rumoured to come out for months, nothing happened.
(mine is from August !)

Dell, do something about that, damn !

Andreas Mohr