Re: cleaning the screen

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
>>
>> So, what is the correct (and safe) way to clean a laptop screen?

more than one correct answer exists.

>> If it matters mine is a TFT screen from a VAIO 505f.

Doesn't matter if it's LCD or TFT.  Matters that you don't do anything
electrically exciting, or drip into your keyboard while cleaning.

> quoting Beavis and Butthead....
>
> "we have considered many forms of contraception a young woman today can
> use......and we suggest this sponge!"
>
> btw the way you may want to add some detergent to that too...

My preferred means, when I don't have fancy "cleanscreen wipes" around
is to get two tough quality paper towels.  Don't use tissue and don't use
towels that create a lot of lint.

One, I get a corner soggy, then fold it over itself a few times and squeeze,
so it's nice and damp, but not dripping anymore.  Detergent optional,
something like windex is okay, but put it on the towel, not directly on the
system.

The other I leave dry.

clean the screen with the damp towel, sponging of goo and grit.  When you
start to see grit buildup on the damp towel open its fold so you have more
clean surface area.  I like to wipe in stripes so I don't miss anything.

Now that the screen is all vaguely damp, sponge off the liquid with the
dry towel.  It will become slightly damp too, may pick up some extra dust,
and should leave the screen looking more its original matte or shiny self.

The same instructions apply to desktop monitors.

> you can't do any damage to the screen, you will notice a plastic layer
> which protects it.
>
> Alex

Far more dangerous what may happen to your keyboard while you're paying
attention to the screen.  Luckily many laptops can lay open almost flat.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...