Re: Laptop with overhead display

> Hi,
>
> First of all, I'd like to apologize for this being a little offtopic. But
> as I think the people on this list might know the answer I deciced to post
> this question anyway. So here it comes:
>
> Does anybody know of current (affordable) laptop models that come with a
> detachable overhead display (like the Siemens Mobile 750 Overhead
> Display)?

No, but one of Sony's external monitors that I saw at MicroCenter, is
really a completely flat object, with a thin cord leading to a brick (not
unlike usual laptop adapters, with the exception that it's larger) thence
a cord leads to a wall outlet.  It does have a stand, but the stand is
not electrically interesting, all the stuff that would normally be in the
stand is in its brick.

Now since you didn't state a budget, or how many people would share the
use of the device, I dunno what "affordable" is in your context.  I have
forgotten the price since it was some other peripheral I was shopping for,
I think around 1k.

> At our school we do have machines that enable us to display slides with a
> overhead projector. We would like to purchase  some laptops for
> presentation purposes and in order to cut costs down we thought we would
> look for laptops with detachable overhead displays.

Very rare objects.  I personally enjoy finding laptops with odd features,
but the last time such things were in vogue was around the time the Dauphin
wasn't succeeding as a touchpad/notebook.

I do wonder if having clearly detachable video might not actually make
video more sturdy.

Consider the above item instead, and get only one per presentation site,
so everyone can share it;  if the reason you're asking this is because the
presentation site needs to move around, the above monitor is portable enough,
and you still only need one if only one person would be presenting at a time.
The laptops themselves will allow folks to work on the glitz seperately of
the conference room.

I'd say you might get older laptop models, but if you want your presentations
to have the nice effects like fades and zipping-arrows, you'll want to get
a midrange rather than low end CPU, and a decent amount of memory.  Don't
need to max out, but presentations run really nicely if you can preload
the whole stream into memory and still have enough to flip back and forth.
This is where real presentation software - even wimpy stuff like Magicpoint,
which is what I use, 'cuz it's free and works for me - beats out just using
a web browser as your presentation pad.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...