Re: Reality Check. (was Why Linux on a Laptop?)

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:03:24PM -0500, Doc - KD4E wrote:
> <<snip>>
> Is there a simple inquiry to discover this?
>
> "X -probeonly" only gets me "bash: X: command not found"

(speaking from fallable memory): That's probably because you're in
single-user mode. 1st priority is to get you into multi-user mode
without X. Read on.

> > Do they have 2.4.16 up yet?
>
> Linux Kernel 2.5 pre-patch 2.5.1pre4
>
> > What sort of "doesn't work" does it do, e.g. error messages, etc.
>
> Several commands have been suggested to try and activate X from
> Single and none have worked.  As you have noted, trying to test
> anything in between the flashing display is a recipe for frustration.
>
> > Turn off xdm/gdm/kdm so you don't have a GUI login attempt gumming up
> > the works.
>
> And I do that how, please?

Edit /etc/init.d/xdm (or gdm or kdm) and change the first line to
    exit 0
will do the trick. Alternatively, you can execute:
    apt-get remove xdm (or ...)
if you prefer to actually remove the software rather than just
de-activating it.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com