Re: Why Linux on a Laptop? Reality Check.

> I made my laptop my principle machine years ago. I've never looked back.
> Be seeing you, norm

I have been using a laptop as a "desktop replacement" for many years, and
according to technology media reports such is the wave of the future.

As for Linux versus M$ Windows products -- efficient resource use, price,
stability, and security have always mitigated in favor of Linux.

It is true that many of us have struggled mightily to get Linux to run
properly on many models of laptops, whereas Windows easily loads
and runs, we have ethical, financial, and technological reasons to
believe that the hassle will be worth it.

Linux is a less "mature" and relatively zero-funded product than is Windows,
yet it generally outperforms Windows despite megabucks spent in M$
development.  Causes one to wonder about the model M$ is using.

Reality Check:

I sure would love to get Linux working again on my Laptop!

I started with Progeny and am trying to shift to 100% Debian, however
something -- possibly an artifact of Progeny -- is tripping things up and I
cannot find it.

I would like to request more assistance in resolving my problem with
Debian-Linux on my OmniBook 4100.  I currently have Unstable and
2.4.14 loaded and cannot get into X.  (FYI: Progeny loaded GRUB
rather than LILO.)

I am forced to boot Single mode to the command prompt because I
otherwise am faced with a flashing display.  Should I download 2.5 and
update Unstable?

Is there a good reason to believe the problem may be resolved if I
do so, or would it just be a shot in the dark?

Thanks!  doc