standby when using remote

I didn't care this far about the sleep thing, I have apm-sleep
installed. Now that I ssh into my laptop from my wife's mine keep on
going to sleep even though I am busy working on it.

It seems this daemon only checks some IRQs by default which is bad. OK,
I could add the network.

But what if I just left my machine alone, when it is busy doing
something local. Say no IRQs. No hd, no net, just doing sg. Like
counting. I would like it to be running when it's busy, but then after
finished, go to sleep.

Can I do that? Is there another daemon for something like this?

Gee