Toshiba Tecra 9000

Hey Guys,
I've got a $5000 Canadian Budget for a new Laptop and I Really like the looks of the Toshiba Tecra 9000, (PIII 1GHz, 256 MB Ram, 8x DVD, Built in Wireless technology, TV-Out, and other great features, but its hard to find info on Installing linux on any newer laptops.  Does anyone know of any incompatibilities or anything with the New Tecra Models? or can anyone suggest another brand/model?  I've only ever owned one laptop before and it was an OLD Toshiba Tecra (P133, something or other) but its still kicking so I'm inclined to purchase a tecra again.  Also I hate those god forsaken glide point things, so if you suggest another model, I'd prefer something with the accupoint, and a really nice display.