Re: cpu speed measurement

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:35:25AM +0000, Alexander Clouter wrote:
> To disable speedstep turn off power saving in the bios (it may be called
> maximum cpu performance or lowest battery life) and you will save lots of
> battery life.  However if you are running quake or playing movies you
> probably won't notice a saving anyway.

My BIOS (sony PCG-150K) doesn't give me any power saving options at
all.  It basically says "under ACPI there are no options here" and
there no ACPI on/off options either.
This also means that the apm doesn't work at all (hangs the machine
on boot).  Will I have to wait for ACPI tool to mature before I can
turn speedstep on/off?

ATM when my machine is idle x86info tells me its 6Mhz and when I compile
the kernel it goes back up to 850.  With speedstep disabled does
x86info always return the same value?

sam
--
sam clegg