Re: debian on a 486 with 2 mb?

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 03:01:58PM +0000, Tom Breza wrote:
> > And suddenly derZiegelmann had this magical idea:
> > >  i got a ibm ps/2 n51sx recently (by accident ;-)) with win 3.1 installed on
> > >  it. now i'm wondering if it is possible to install debian on it. if it is
> > >  possbile then i have another problem, because the laptop only has a floppy
> > >  drive. is there a version which could be installed from floppy? or can i
> > >  split the whole bundle manually?
> > >
> u can copy base system on floppy and install from it, i didit, becuse my
> pcmcia did not work streight away, when I finish instalation of base
> system I add pcmcia network card and rest of installation I put over the
> network :P

I did a floppy + network install on an 8MB Compaq Concerto
recently and it was tremendously slow.  I can't imagine
trying to install a full system from just floppy.  I got a prior
version running on an Omnibook 300 with 4MB a few years back
and that was painful too.

Hope your project is worth the trouble.

I doubt if potato or woody are even possible in 2MB- the
initrd ramdisk would eat up all your memory right away.
The only way I can see to install debian would be to get
swapspace set up from the get-go.  You might find the
4mb-Laptop HOWTO useful.
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/4mb-Laptops-4.html

Another route might be to adapt one of the projects aimed at
handheld linuxes.  The intimate project for the Compaq IPAQ
plans to put a full debian system on a limited handheld
device.
  http://intimate.handhelds.org

Linuxes or even smaller machines include ucLinux and ELKS.

###