Sound on ASUS A1000

Hello,

I have some troubles with sound on my ASUS A1000-series laptop. It has
SiS board with sound on it (and syupid WinModem, which doesn't
work!!!!). Sound worked out of the box - I compiled kernel 2.2.4 with
sound support and driver for Trident (and SiS and AdLib - it was all in
one line).
So, I have
----------
CONFIG_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_FUSION is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4281 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ESSSOLO1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO3 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ICH is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_TRIDENT=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TVMIXER is not set
----------
in my .config file.

It works, but:

1. "cat /dev/sndstat"  says "No such device" instead of saying me my
sound parameters.

2. ASUS notebook has 3 buttons for handeling sound: Mute, Sound Up and
Sound Down (one can use them along with Fn button). The latter two seems
two work, but if I mute - sound is DEAD. I have to restart the laptop.

3. When I use Sound Up or Down - no indicator on the screen. Although it
IS present in Windowz - if I do it there, I see sound level. Is not it
governed by BIOS? If yes, why I do not have it in Linux (btw, I use vesa
framebuffer for video ouput - I do not if it influences the sound
indicator)

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance

Roman