Re: APM -- wmapm and user-initiated sleep/suspend?

Hi,

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:21:24 +0000 (GMT) Vivek <vivek@etla.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > > Change the permissions on the apm device and/or add yourself to an
> > > appropriate group?
> >
> > I tried that.  Created an apm group, added myself, newgrp'd, and did
> > 'apm -S'.  No dice.
>
> Yes, but what are the permissions on the apm device file?

It won't matter.  Use of /dev/apm_bios to suspend the machine is restricted to
processes with the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability.  On a normal Linux box that
means setuid to root.

I have been considering changing that to just depend on the devicenode
permissions for a while, but can't make up my mind. :-(

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au