Network connection

Hello,

How do I make eth0 configure itself automatically whenever a network
cable is inserted? Or otherwise configure the network at the request
of a user?

My laptop is usually connected to a DHCP LAN, either at home or at
work. However, I sometimes use it outside this environement and have
no network cable attached. If I have my eth0 configured to set itself
up automatically in /etc/networks/devices/eth0 it takes several
minutes for it to boot up and time out whenever pump can't reach the
DHCP server... Thus I have configured it so it won't start
automatically, and run 'sudo ifup eth0' whenever I access the net.

This used to work like a charm, until I installed the KDE2 environment
and all the sudden my girlfriend could use the laptop too. :)

So, every time she boots it I have to go over there and start eth0 for
her and it's becoming a PITA. I don't want to give her neither root or
sudo (not even if I restrict the sudo to the 'ifup' command). I've
pondered if I should make a suided program that runs ifup and put an
icon on the desktop she could click, but that seems like a hassle too.

Is there a better way to this? Some kind of notification that a
network cable has been inserted and then the device is configured
directly from there?

TIA
//Humming