SOLVED: Lockups on HP Omnibook XE3 !

Hi,

i think it's interesting for the people out there having a HP OB XE3 or
similar. A short time ago, i had problems with random crashes on my XE3. I
tried several kernel-options turned APM on/off... etc...

nothing

then i tested my laptop in console-mode only and i didn't had any problems !
Worked fine under non-X !

Okey... then I've found something interesting in a mailinglist.

Many S3-chips have the problem, that they lock the hole system completely up,
when they become a false command.
A workaround was described too. But it's not an ideal one if you wan't
maximum performance on your laptop.

Disable HardwareAcceleration !!
in XF86Config-4 under savage-driver -> option "NoAccel"

This problem relies on XF86 4.1.x and the Savage-Driver

Now i experienced NO crashes since about 12 hours :)

sincerly
Andy