Re: Is it possible to use Carbus NIC on kernel 2.4.12 without pcmcia-modules?

Kazuhiko Uebayashi, 2001-Oct-28 18:19 +0900:
> Hi Jeff.
> I'm Kazuhiko again.
>
> In "/boot/cofig-2.4.12" of my note,configuration for pcmcia is the following.
>
> To use the CardBus NIC, Are there any problem in it?
>
> Bye thanks.
>
> !!!
> # PCMCIA/CardBus support
> #
> CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
> CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
> CONFIG_I82365=y
> # CONFIG_TCIC is not set
> CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
> CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
> CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
> CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
> # CONFIG_KCORE_AOUT is not set
> CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m
> CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
> CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m
> CONFIG_PM=y
> CONFIG_APM=y
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
> CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
> CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y
> !!!

This only laptop I'm running 2.4.12 on, I'm not using pcmcia
kernel support.  I get the pcmcia3.1.29 source and compile it
myself.  This is working great for me.

Have you confirmed that your laptop uses the i82365 and not TCIC?
I don't know how to check this.

You know, it just occurred to me....you're compiling cardbus and
i82365 into the kernel, and on another post you showed the syslog
which looks like the system is trying to load modules.  Perhaps
you should recompile the kernel and make modules:

CONFIG_CARDBUS=m
CONFIG_I82365=m

That way, the system will actually have a module to load.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User