Re: Next step?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Søren Neigaard wrote:

> What are the difference between Testing and Unstable?

Unstable is where bleeding edge just-released packages get dropped in by the
maintainers. After a while, once it's been established that they won't
barbecue your dog and microwave your spleen, they filter through to testing.

Generally I just live in testing, and anytime I need a package from
unstable, I get the source from unstable and compile a package on testing -
this works fine for packages without a gazillion dependencies in unstable.

> Should I upgrade to testing/unstable first, or install sawfish first
> (will sawfish upgrade together with the rest of my system)?

All packages that can upgrade, do so when you do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade',
so unless sawfish is borken/missing in stable, it shouln't matter much which
way you do it. (although you will conserve bandwidth and time by upgrading
and _then_ installing new packages)

--
That which doesn't kill you will make you bitter and cynical.
                                                            -TMEG