FW: Re[4]: Debian installation problems

Hi Soren,

Its fairly easy.  if you have put in any information in
/etc/networks/interfaces, then take it out,
leaving the localhost information in there only.

Next; decide whether you are using DHCP or not, because that makes a
difference on how you
configure the network.opts file.  The network.opts file only works when you
have the PCMCIA network card actually
installed in the pc - useful - otherwise it won't work.

I assume that you ARE running DHCP, so here goes....

DHCP ="y"

DHCP_HOSTNAME="dhcp_machinename"

IPADDR=""
NETMASK="y.y.y.y"
NETWORK="z.z.z.z"
BROADCAST="q.q.q.q"

GATEWAY="p.p.p.p"

DOMAIN="t.t.t.t"

DNS_1="server_1"
DNS_2="server_2"
DNS_3="server_3"

y.y.y.y = Your netmask changes depending on whether you have a CLASS A,B,C
or D IP address. e.g. if you have
a DHCP range of 192.168._._ then you have a class D IP address.  Class D
Netmasks are usually 255.255.255.0

z.z.z.z = The maximum number of your IP address range - so, for me, my IP
address range is between 192.168.47.100-254
I go and put 192.168.47.0- this says that I am on this subnet.

q.q.q.q = This is broadcast address for the subnet. - usually ends with a
.255 number, e.g. 192.168.47.255

p.p.p.p = Your external gateway - e.g. 192.168.47.1

t.t.t.t = this is your domain = e.g. domain.com (no www in this one)

DNS1 - 3 - this refers to server_1 - > server-3 - These are your DNS servers
on your network, if you are running WINS, you
might like to try the WINS servers (they might be running DNS as well).

That's it.

Max

Tuesday, October 09, 2001, 11:49:38 PM, Max wrote:

ME> I just want to thank Glen for asking that question on how to configure
your
ME> network card
ME> on PCMCIA, cos I've just got mine to work - DHCP et al.  I am, for once,
ME> very happy bunny!

ME> If you get hassles with network setting up, forget about configuring
ME> /etc/networks/interfaces
ME> cos it will only mess things up.  By editing out
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts,
ME> it happily runs!
What did you fix in there? Do you have a tip for me?