Re: x-window-manager link

Andrew,

I installed KDE by selecting 'task-kde' from dselect menu, so so far all the
KDE packages I try to reinstall say that I have the latest package installed.

I do have kdm installed and can start it manually or at boot-up; the problem
there is both xdm and kdm present me with a graphical login and then take me
to the currently installed window manager (now enlightenment, per Heather's
suggestion), but neither window manager goes beyond and I don't get to the
KDE desktop automatically.

I would like to issue the 'startx' command from the command line and end up
with the KDE desktop.

I can now currrently get to the KDE desktop by issuing the 'xinit' command
and then issuing the 'startkde' command within the X login window.  If I try
to close the X login window once KDE desktop starts, X stops and I'm back at
the command line......

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 04:13, Andrew McMillan wrote:
On Wed, 2001-10-10 at 10:05, Mark R. Millsap wrote:
> Ohh... bummer.
>
> Here is what I get when I tried the command you suggested:
>
> There is only 1 program which provides x-window-manager
> (/usr/bin/X11/twm).  Nothing to configure.

Both Gnome and KDE wrap the window-manager in a Session manager.  You
should be able to get KDE starting if you install a few more KDE
packages so that you get the KDE session manager installed.

Once that is installed 'startx' will run the session manager, and KDE
insists on trumping all the other alternatives, so you should get KDE
starting from 'startx' that way.

Otherwise, do as someone else suggested and install 'kdm' so you log in
from a graphical shell.

Regards,
					Andrew.