toshiba: suspend problems

Hi all,

I'm using Linux 2.4.9ac9 on a new Toshiba Satellite with 'apmd' running
and the kernel compiled with support for APM. For the most part, things
work fine. When I tell the machine to go into standby mode (apm -S), it
works fine: the screen blanks (and I assume the hard drive spins down
and the CPU idles), and when I press a key or move the trackball, it
starts up again almost instantaneously.

However, when I tell the machine to suspend itself (apm -s), there are
problems. The machine seems to suspend properly -- the amber light on
the 'power' LCD is flashing slowly (as it should), but when I hit the
power button to start the machine up again, I get a message on the
screen along the lines of "WARNING! RESUME FAILED!" ; so I press a key
and the machine boots into Linux as normal, but it doesn't resume.

Can anyone tell me either

a) how to get suspend working properly

2) tell apmd to use 'standby' instead of 'suspend' at all times

I would prefer (a), and I've tried to RTFM but I can't find anything
that talks about how to configure this (the various HOWTOs on laptops
seem to suggest that installing apmd and recompiling the kernel will
make things work automagically...).

Thanks in advance,

Neil Conway