Re: StarOffice installtion crashes on IBM T22

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 06:27:18PM +0100, Alexander Clouter wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Martin Skøtt wrote:
> >
> > This might be a bit offtopic, but my IBM T22 laptop is the only machine I have
> > had this problem with :-)
> > My machine simplu hangs the first time I press a button in the StarOffice 5.2
> > installation wizard. I have tried several different editions of SO 5.2, both
> > downloaded from sun.com and from a Sun CD and all of them crash. Crashing in
> > the way that the only thing I can do to get in contact with the machine again
> > is to switvh it off and on again.
> > I have tried the installation on a couple of other machines and it works fine
> > there. The only difference between the crashing and the working machines is
> > that the crashing machine is a IBM T22 laptop using XFS.
> >
> > My machine is a IBM T22 (2647-B8G) runnig Debian testing with kernel 2.4.5.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this and have you got a solution to the problem?
> >
> firstly kernel 2.4.5 has some nasty VM bugs, I would quickly upgrade to
> 2.4.9 (you can get the latest XFS patches too :)  You will notice this bug
> when either mozilla/staroffice is loaded.....unless you have actually set
> your swap space to 2xRAM (or even 2.5xRAM).

I know, but upgrading to something newer than 2.4.5 would mean going to the CVS
version of XFS which is less tested than the XFS 1.0.1 patch for 2.4.5. I am
aware of the problems (and have set my swap accordingly) that have been fixed
and it was quite reluctantly that I installed 2.4.5.
> I don't know how to fix the above problem however I would recommend you go
> to www.openoffice.org and look at the open source version of staroffice.
> The components have been broken up so you don't waste loads of memory, it
> also becomes faster and more reliable.

I have tried and it stil crashes.
> Also one thing to note is that 5.2 was dog slow when I used it on my
> laptop in comparison to 5.1, just my thoughts :)
Hmmm, I just got installed (due to another response to this list) and seems slow
as always. The last time I used 5.1 was on a 133MhZ pentium and that was really
slow :-)

--
Martin Skøtt
martin@z3n.dk