Re: pcmcia-cs 3.1.28-2 is on crack

Noah L. Meyerhans, 2001-Aug-28 15:38 -0400:
> I've been frustrated by pcmcia-cs 3.1.28-2 since installing it.  I've
> been running sid on my VAIO PCG-XG28 for several months with no
> troubles.  My PCMCIA network card is a Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100.
> Before 3.1.28-2, cardmgr and cardinfo saw the card as an NE2000
> compatible, the pcnet_cs.o kernel module would be used to drive this
> card, and all was well.  Now, however, cardmgr insists that the card is
> an Asix AX88190, and wants to use the axnet_cs module, which doesn't work.
>
> There is no problem with the card; I have used alternate cards and seen
> the same behavior.  There is no problem with my laptop, as I'm still
> able to use my wireless NIC with no trouble.
>
> I'm using the kernel modules included with pcmcia-source, not those
> built with kernel 2.4.9.  I applied the patches in Debian bug 109060 to
> pcmcia-source to get the modules to build with kernel 2.4.9.
>
> Can anybody help?  Thanks in advance.
>
> noah

Most likely, the entry in /etc/pcmcia/config is incorrectly
identifying you card.  Check the card definitions and compare
them to what shows up in syslog when the card is inserted.  You
may need to tweak the card definitions to get it to load the
right module.

If the card definition is using "version..." to identify the card
and it doesn't work, you can change it to use "manfid..." which
will show up in syslog along with the version information.  Or,
the entry in config may be using an incorrect manfid.

hope this helps,
jc

--

Jeff Coppock		Nortel Networks