Re: Keyboard entry

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 08:55:28AM -0400, dude wrote:
> I am working on installin glinux on an HP 5470
> I am using debian distr.  kernel 2.7

Wow!  How did you get your hands on that?  Eddies in the space-time
continuum? :-)

> What we noticed is that when i rebooted into the new kernel
> and get into the login:
> we can not login.
> What We (my girlfriend and I) think is going on is thatwhen
> a key is pressed it is sending th ewrong data thus the login and password
> is wrong.
> It might be the enter key because when i just type that i get a "^]"
> But when i load up kernel 2.2 i can login in just fine.
> What is going on with the keyboard in the newer kernel.

I'm not sure, but I think your assumption may be correct (although
your reasoning probably isn't).  Try the following: open /etc/inittab
in an editor, find the line that says

	1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

and replace it with

If you reboot now with either kernel, you should get a shell prompt
instead of the login: on bootup.  This will let you test your keyboard
a little better than the login prompt.  If there is indeed a problem
with the enter key, try Ctrl-M or Ctrl-J -- they should generate
newlines as well.

Hope this helps

Rolf Heckemann
High on Linux since kernel 1.2.9