ThinkPad 755C, audio?

Hi, I am using Debian 2.2r3 on a ThinkPad 755C.  I've read
that it is possible to make the sound card work by loading
the ThinkPad DOS audio driver (tpauddd.sys), running the
SoundBlaster compatibility program (svaudio.exe), and
booting Linux via loadlin. I was told a few months ago that
I also needed the ALSA modules for it to work properly.
Recently, I downloaded the kernel-source-2.2.19, but the
stable alsa-source would not compile against it (this is
evidently a known bug - it won't compile on anything
>=2.2.18pre21?).  So I downloaded kernel-source-2.2.17, and
alsa compiled flawlessly.  However, I cannot load the
soundblaster module (device or resource busy) even though
soundblaster 'compatibility' is enabled.  The DOS program
(svaudio.exe) does not allow me to set/read the IO, IRQ, or
DMA.  And I am uncertain what the values are.   Has anyone
had luck getting the sound to work on their ThinkPad 755C?
750 Series?  Thanks, Matt