Re: 'current' disks in 'testing' missing PCMCIA kernel modules

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 09:59:29AM -0400, Reid Sutherland wrote:
> > 	I'm trying to install Debian on my Dell Inspiron with a Xircom
> > 10/100 56k combo card, and when I get to the PCMCIA stage it fails.
> > This is because it's missing the PCMCIA packages.  What can I do to get
> > Debian going on this lappy?
>
> Do a potato install, then upgrade to testing. Or wait for a while until
> woody boot-floppies support PCMCIA. They're about your only options at
> the moment.
>
> Cheers,
> aj

Hmm, I've seen some alternative boot-floppies sets but I think they all
lead to potato, too.  Doesn't matter.  You don't have to install hardly
anything interesting -- just make sure you have the apt tools that you
want, and pcmcia tools, and the kernel.  Base is enough to upgrade from
there.

I understand they've gone and broken console-apt in testing :(  but you
can use aptitude, or tasksel, to make life much easier than picking package
names out of thin air.  Either that or fetch console-apt while you're still
a potato kit ... tag things in a much smaller chunks at a time ... and
upgrade apt last, because it will delete capt.

And you don't *really* have to get them from thin air, anyway, they'd be
mentioned in /var/lib/dpkg/available.

	I -have- been wondering...
	a. why didn't they update capt when they didn't break aptitude?
	b. do the boot floppies people have a special growl in their
	   hearts for laptoppers?  No PCMCIA??!  What are they thinking?

Reminds me why I'm sticking with Potato a bit longer.  Yeesh.  Anyways
that leads to the last option, which is that you can run Potato all the
time, and only grab an occasional package from Testing (aka Woody) by
point your deb-src lines at testing, and using
	apt-get -b source <name of package>

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...